Thursday, September 04, 2008

In a Sentimental Mood

**Photo courtesy of Sellsius Real Estate Blog

Life is so short.

Yesterday I was informed that an acquaintance passed away on Monday evening. I was rocked by the 'messenger' that brought the news. She said her reason for calling me was to tell me that so-and-so had passed away. 38 years of age with wife and kids. He seemed the picture of health yet died of a heart attack. She wanted to warn people that she knew and loved about the risks of not taking care of the body. So-and-so was playing softball on Labor Day and dropped dead at third base. Here one day, gone one night.

The news had me a little sentimental at the thought of being in the same position. Immediately I wanted to hold my husband a little closer, to tell him how much I loved him. To tell him what a wonderful husband he is. To tell him how the thought of life without him makes me miserable. To tell him that the prospect of forever with him gives me comfort. I too, like the messenger that brought the news, wanted to call the people closest to me.

Our life is a reflection of the ever changing seasons. Some of us will be taken in the "summer" of our life, having never known what it is like to grow old. 38 years seems a short time to be on this planet. 38 seems like a time when I'd be at the height of my "bestness".

I look at my father, who still works full time at the age of 65; whose hair has not completely grayed; who still looks the picture of health; whose skin is still vibrant and wrinkle-free and I think to myself that I want to age gracefully as he does. My mother, who has suffered 3 major strokes, is still walking on her own. She is able to talk and maintain without assistance. Her mind doesn't seem to have lost any of its vigor. And I think to myself that I want to be as strong as she is.

Mostly though, today I want to live in this moment. To live for today and not fret over what happened yesterday or harp on what could be tomorrow. I want it to be said of me that I lived a full life, surrounded by people I loved and that I lived each moment fully! I thank the Creator for my life, for each breath that I take as a mere mortal, for every second that I get to spend with the love of my life. I'm grateful for the wonderful family that I was born into that has given me such a great foundation to build upon. Today, in this moment, I live for love.

No comments: